Missing Cebu girl found slain, decapitated in mountains — How did this go unnoticed?
Margret Dianne Fermin Ipinost noong 2026-02-21 10:26:07
TOLEDO CITY, Cebu — A 12-year-old girl who had been missing for over a week was found decapitated and tied to a tree in a secluded area of Toledo City, Cebu, in a case that has shocked communities and triggered an ongoing police investigation.
The victim, identified as Crystal Joy Abarquez, a Grade 6 pupil, was reported missing on February 11, 2026. Her body was discovered on February 19 in a grassy, mountainous area in Barangay Ibo, bringing a tragic end to an eight-day search conducted by her family, local officials, and police authorities.
Authorities said the body was already in an advanced state of decomposition when it was found. It was tied to a tree using a piece of clothing, with the victim’s head severed and located nearby.
The grim discovery was made after a resident reported that a dog had carried a severed human foot to his home, prompting immediate coordination with barangay officials and police.
According to investigators, the victim was last seen on the afternoon of February 11. CCTV footage later showed her riding a motorcycle with a man whose face was partially concealed.
Police identified a suspect, later named as Rowel Villapaña Jr., who is reportedly a relative of the victim. He was arrested on the evening of February 19, though authorities said he has denied involvement in the killing.
Initial findings also revealed that the suspect had prior legal issues, including reported cases in another province. Investigators are now working to determine the full circumstances surrounding the crime, including the possibility of other individuals being involved.
The victim’s mother, Christine Abarquez, recounted the days of searching for her daughter, expressing anguish over the brutal killing. “Hindi ko ma-contact ang aking anak… hinanap namin ilang araw,” she said, adding, “Sobrang sakit, masakit ang ginawa niya sa aking anak.”
Local officials, including Toledo City authorities, had earlier offered a reward for information that could lead to the girl’s whereabouts. The case has since drawn widespread attention and condemnation, with calls for justice intensifying across Cebu.
Police said a murder case is being prepared against the suspect, pending the results of an autopsy that may also determine if additional crimes were committed.
The investigation remains ongoing.
